Thursday, November 23, 2006

Karaoke Superstar

This was quite an interesting day. Mom, Sis, and I went to see Borat (Mom's choice - she surprised us all at our early Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday by asking me to go see it with her), which was very funny, and not a little uncomfortable. Mom loved it - I think she laughed harder than anyone else in the theater. I was surprised at what people were actually willing to say, knowing they were being taped. And it was also interesting to see how they reacted to Borat. In one scene, he went to a rodeo and commended the crowd for America's "war of terror," which got a round of applause. He then hoped that we would kill everyone in Iraq (more applause), and that George Bush would be allowed to drink the blood of every man, woman, and child in Iraq (less applause). And then he sang "the Kazakhstan national anthem" to the tune of the Star-Spangled Banner, which was hilarious because it was basically, "Kazakhstan is a great country with great potassium and every other country is run by little girls." Awesome.

Tonight I went out to karaoke with my friend from work, Tiff, her (hot) brother Justin, her boyfriend Joel, and Joel's roommates. So much fun! Tiff and I sang 5 or 6 songs, getting progressively better. We peaked somewhere between "Love Shack" (I'm especially proud of my "tiiiiiiiin roof, rusted") and "I Love Rock & Roll;" our final song, "Fast Car," was just a big ol' mess. We did meet a really interesting woman, April, who flirted with Justin all night long. Justin's 18, but has a fake ID. April's 33. During the last song, "Let's Get It On," they started grinding and making out on the dance floor. Somewhat disturbing, yet Tiff and I were laughing hysterically the whole time.

In between songs and beers, we discussed the Southern colloquialism "Bless your heart." Everyone down here knows that you can get away with saying ANYTHING derogatory about a fellow Southerner, as long as you end with a "Bless your heart." April had just finished making this point when Justin got up to sing. Her reaction? "Well, bless his heart, at least he's cute."

Another April gem of wisdom: "What do you call a woman without an asshole? Single."

I meet such interesting people around here...

No comments: