Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Great Urban Race 2009

The Varsity

Yesterday was such a blast! While the rest of you were reading, blogging, and getting kicked off Twitter (poor Beth F!), I was running around Atlanta with five of my friends. The Great Urban Race is basically a one-day Amazing Race: competing in teams of two (or six, if three teams decide to make like Voltron), you're tasked with solving clues, running around the city, and taking pictures to document the whole thing.

We showed up at East Andrews Cafe between 11 - 12 to sign in, eat free food, and get ready for the day. At noon exactly, all the teams were given their clue sheets. Our strategy was to take time at the beginning to solve all the clues and create a plan of attack so that they weren't criss-crossing the city all day long. Plus, we only had five hours. A few of the clues (go to a hotel for a dance lesson, find these race officials and make a donation to charity, play a game of hoops at ESPN Zone) were easy, while some (find the statue in this picture, translate this clue written in WingDings) were slightly more challenging. We were given the option to skip one clue, but ended up doing all 12, which made me proud. It's not like we were really in it to win it; I just wanted to have fun. And I did! My body is incredibly sore (especially my poor feet - they haven't been this worn out since last year's Peachtree), but I can't wait to do it again next year.

Turns out, urban scavenger hunts are a pretty popular pastime. There's High Trek Adventure, Scaventures (more for corporations than individuals), Urban Hike (in Pittsburgh only, sadly), Urban Challenge (another one just for businesses), Meet Market Adventures (for my fellow singletons), and Urban Assault Ride. If it sounds like your kind of fun, I highly recommend signing up for one.

The rest of my pictures from the event can be seen at my photostream.

7 comments:

christina said...

jessi -

these are so great! what a fun experience. I wish they had something like this in my city that I knew of!!

christina said...

Hey - I also read over on Joanne's (The Book Zombie) blog that you are having a hard time finding P&P&Z.

I got mine at Shakespeare & Co. while in NYC. If you don't get it before then you can find it there :)

Smadraji said...

Nice Posting
Gay

bethany said...

WOW, honestly that sounds way more fun than the read-a-thon!! And that is saying a lot since I love the read-a-thon! I am glad you had a great day.

Maybe join us next time though??

Kim L said...

I have never even heard of that before! It sounds really fun, though. What a great way to spend a Saturday. I must now google to see if they have any in my neck of the woods.

Ali said...

This sounds like so much fun! Seems like the type of event my city would have, I'll have to look into it.

Dawn - She is Too Fond of Books said...

have you done urban races before, or was this your first? It looks like you had a great time and would do it again! I'd love to do something like this, but I think my husband would be less enthusiastic :(