Thursday, October 23, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Coupling

I'm still trying to get caught up from the Read-a-thon; I have tons of reviews and a long overdue wrap-up post to write, but those are going to have to wait until after I finish grading this week's assignments and get my lesson plans under control. For the record: tenth graders find Julius Caesar incredibly boring, until you start comparing it to Mean Girls. It's amazing how easy it is to compare Ancient Rome to Modern Day High School.

Today's Booking Through Thursday question is:
“Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me.”
As a Jane Austen fanatic, I'm sure I'm supposed to name Elizabeth and Darcy or Emma and Knightley, but my favorite literary couple is actually Lady Jessica and Leto Atreides from Dune. Sure, the relationship itself doesn't last long - I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it and might possibly in the future - but the love between them endures to the final line of the book. She even gives him a son because she knows how happy it will make him. And he never even legitimizes their relationship! Which probably has something to do with my supremely screwed up ideas on marriage...

But you don't have to take my word for it. Check out Booking Through Thursday for more opinions.

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I've always wanted to read Dune, but you've just made me extra curious!

Anonymous said...

too funny! I haven't read Dune yet, either. I attempted it once back in my 'try to read a book a year' days (which probably explains why I failed to finish it.