Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mini-Review: The Mating Season

The Mating Season, by P.G. Wodehouse, is yet another Bertie-and-Jeeves story in which Bertie does something ridiculous that could get him in trouble, and Jeeves has to step in and save the day. In this book, Jeeves is saving him from potential matrimony (the horror!) and a bad reputation. Bertie travels to a country estate in the guise of his friend, Gussie Fink-Nottle, who has been detained by the police for taking a dip in a public fountain after a night of inebriation. The ruse causes assorted romantic mix-ups, of course, and the day can only be saved by Jeeves' dry wit and clear thinking.

The diction in these books is one of my main pleasures in reading them, and The Mating Season was no exception:
Jeeves, in speaking of this Fink-Nottle, had, if you remember, described him as disgruntled, and it was plain at a glance that the passage of time had done nothing to gruntle him.
Fans of The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks will probably get more out of that quote than others. :) The Mating Season is a great book, very fun and funny; highly recommended.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those strange people who can say I've read a bio of Wodehouse and have yet to read anything he's written.

Anonymous said...

I'm currently listening to Thank You, Jeeves, and the person reading all of the voices is doing a fantastic job. The dialogue is hysterical.

Alea said...

I've always wanted to read a Jeeves book! I really like the illustration style of the cover!

Staci said...

I've never read a Jeeves book...I feel like I'm missing out!! so now I'm off to add it to my TBR pile!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

I've never heard of these books before, but they look like fun.

Beth F said...

I am going to be listening to my first Jeeves book this year. I have no clue why I haven't read any of them before. Everyone always raves about them. Anyway, can't wait to get started!

Carrie Harris said...

I adore Wodehouse and haven't read this one yet. Thanks for the reminder!

jessi said...

Care - You really need to read one of his books - they're all pretty short and so funny!

softdrink - Thank You, Jeeves is on my TBR list for the 1% Well-Read Challenge; I'll have to look for the audiobook version.

Alea - Sadly, my cover doesn't look like this one - I got my copy from a used book store and couldn't find a picture of it online. The covers of Jeeves books always remind me of the New Yorker, for some reason.

Staci and Joanne - You definitely need to read Wodehouse! He's one of the funniest authors I've ever read.

Beth - Enjoy your Jeeves - I'm looking forward to your review!

Carrie - No problem! Thanks for stopping by. :)