Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Recipe Tuesday: Single-Serving Salmon Burger

I started a diet about a week and a half ago, and at last weigh-in I've lost 6 pounds. It's not a lot, but it's something. This is one of my favorite new recipes from my diet cookbook. The recipe is for one burger, but I made 6 at the same time and popped the extras in the freezer. I'm not entirely sure how safe that is, but I'm down to my last two burgers and I haven't gotten sick yet. :)

Single-Serving Salmon Burger

Ingredients:
4 oz canned salmon
2 Tbs egg substitute
1 Tbs spicy mustard
1 Tbs fat-free mayo
1 tsp lemon juice
1 saltine cracker, crumbled

Gently mix the ingredients together and shape into a patty. Spray skillet with cooking spray (or use 1 tsp oil) and cook the patty, turning once, until browned on both sides. I had trouble getting mine to hold their shape; the book suggests popping them in the freezer for a few minutes to help them firm up, but that didn't work for me. No worries, though - I'm sure the shapeless amorphous blob has the same flavor as the perfectly round burger patty.

I like mine on whole wheat bread, with spinach. It may not look terribly appetizing, but it's darn tasty!

5 comments:

Beth F said...

I love salmon patties -- this looks like a nice recipe. Way to go on your weight loss! It's not easy.

Anonymous said...

I've never had salmon before, but it sure looks good! Thanks for the recipe!

Staci said...

Congrats on the 6 pounds!! Any loss is great. My mom use to make salmon patties when I was a kid...yours does look appetizing and I don't think there's anything wrong with freezing them!!

Andi said...

Congrats on the weight loss! I've been working on it myself, and it can be tough, but with recipes like this one, maybe tasty, too! This looks great. Will definitely try it.

Lenore Appelhans said...

My grandmother used to make me these. I could never make them as taste as good as she could.