Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Reading Extravaganza Day 3: Magazines



We all love books, but how about magazines? Magazines are perfect for the shorter flight or poolside (so your book doesn’t get wet), don’t you think? What are your favorite magazines or what magazines would you recommend for book lovers? Or is there a magazine we should stay away from?

I discovered Marie Claire a few years ago, and I've had a subscription ever since. I used to read Cosmo, but got tired of the repetitive and ridiculous articles. (I also used to read JANE before it got cancelled. I refused to let them switch my subscription to Glamour out of principle. I want JANE back!) I picked up MC one day because it had Maggie Gyllenhaal (one of my favorite actresses) on the cover, and I was hooked! It has all the fun stuff that you would normally find in girlie magazines - (affordable) fashion, makeup and hair tips that I rarely use - but also book and movie reviews, political pieces, and an "Eye on the World" segment that interviews women from different countries to show problems they face and how they handle them.
I always learn something new after reading an issue.

I also read a few magazines for teachers, to help me get ideas for my class: Teacher Magazine, Instructor, and I have a digital subscription to EdWeek, which is probably more like a newspaper than a magazine.

My mom had a subscription to Newsweek for years while I was growing up, and I would always read it before her. Ditto for Reader's Digest (I still read this one when I'm at her house). I'll flip through Entertainment Weekly occasionally, or Wizard if I'm at the comic book store (which is rare now a days). And...that's about it!

Visit The Friendly Book Nook for more fun summer magazine suggestions!

5 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, please tell me about the TEACHER magazine. Is it for teachers of all aged kids? My favorite teaching magazine is The Mailbox and Teachers' Helper.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of the Teaching magazine before:)

Alea said...

I miss Jane too! I was a new subscriber that was totally in love with it when it folded. I'm still sad :(

jessi said...

@ sally: I believe it is for all ages. I probably won't renew my subscription because you can get all of the content on the website (http://www.teachermagazine.org/tm/index.html), but it is very interesting.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks for the link! I will be checking that out.