Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Sunday Salon - 22 June 2008

This is my first Sunday Salon post, and it's a little late because I had work and a birthday party to attend today. So, I didn't get to do much reading today.

This week, I finished:
The Open Shadow, which is registered on BookCrossing and free to the first person who asks me for it
A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I haven't reviewed yet because it's part of the A Midsummer Night's Challenge

I'm currently reading:
The Yiddish Policemen's Union - It's not for a challenge or anything, I just really like Michael Chabon. I'm on page 197; I keep getting sidetracked by other books, so who knows when I'll actually finish this one. BoingBoing has a good review of it.
Lords and Ladies - This is the second part of the A Midsummer Night's Challenge. I'm enjoying it so far, but it's a bit confusing because I'm not terribly familiar with Disc World and there are quite a few characters I don't know. I love Terry Pratchett, though.

Still to-be-read:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - my June 1% Well-Read Challenge book
Rant - Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors and this came out in paperback recently

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Salon. I'm interested in the fact that you keep putting the Chabon down as a friend of mine who really like Chabon has had the same problem. I've read a couple of his books and am now wondering whether I should bother with this one. What do you think?

jessi said...

I LOVE Chabon, but I don't know what's wrong with me. The same thing happened when I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I think it's just that I need to take a break every once in a while. I tend to do that with a lot of books, actually - I'll start reading, get a few chapters in, and then pick up something else for a week or so. It may just be my short attention span.

But I would definitely read The Yiddish Policemen's Union. It's a completely different voice for him, and I love that the idea for the novel came from American history.