Thursday, July 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Vacation Spots

Today's Booking Through Thursday question:
Another question inspired by the Bunch of Grapes on Martha’s Vineyard having burned down on the Fourth of July. Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday? Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip? What/Where are they?
One of my new favorite vacation traditions is buying a cookbook featuring the cuisine of the place I'm visiting. I love to cook, and it's fun to remember a vacation by eating like I'm still there. I also like to check out books by local authors - bookstores will usually have a special section, just for them. Reading about the places I visit is also fun - I talked about this during the FBN's Summer Reading Extravaganza.
I also like to check out Friends of the Library sales where ever I go. Some smaller towns may not have bookstores (or may just have the huge chains that you can find anywhere), and I like to support libraries. It's also interesting to see what people in a certain area enjoy reading about. There are two libraries near my little town, for example, and the reading materials available at both differ widely.
One of the best bookstores I ever found while on vacation was in England. I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was in Dorchester. Every "classic" book was available for 50p - about 75 cents at the time (now about $1 or so). I bought so many books that trip, I was worried I might need another suitcase just to get them all home!

But you don't have to take my word for it. Visit Booking Through Thursday for more opinions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's fun to remember a vacation by eating like I'm still there

That's a fantastic thought! You could have a mini-vacation by having a Cajun night, or a Minneapolis meal. What fun!

SmilingSally said...

I shopped at a bookstore in England too and bought a coffee table book AND a book on Shakespeare, but I forgot to mention that in my post.

Jill said...

That's my favorite way to remember a trip, too!

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I forgot about library sales. I do usually check them out too if I am somewhere new.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Having books by local authors is a great way to remember good vacations.
Great Post!