Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Armchair BEA - Novellas/Short Stories


Novellas/Short Stories
Now it is time to give a little love to those little stories in your life. Share your love for your favorite shorts of any form. What is a short story or novella that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves? Recommend to readers what shorts you would recommend they start with. How about listing some short story anthologies based upon genres or authors?
I read a lot of short stories thanks to teaching. Here are a few favorites:

"Lamb to the Slaughter" Roald Dahl
"The Landlady" Roald Dahl
"Candle Cove" - One of my students recommended this to me; it's pretty creepy!
"Down to a Sunless Sea" Neil Gaiman
"The Story of an Hour" Kate Chopin
"Word Problem" Bruce Holland Rogers
"The Necklace" Guy de Maupassant
The Lottery Shirley Jackson (suggested by Stacy)

And a bonus:
"Thoughtcrime Experiments" - a sci-fi/fantasy anthology collection

What's your favorite short story? Link to it in the comments and I'll add it to my list.

3 comments:

Stacy at The Novel Life said...

my all-time favorite short story is The Lottery by Shirley Jackson - it was originally published in 1948 and has lots of similarities to The Hunger Games - phenomenal!

jessi said...

Ooh, excellent suggestion! I read this with my students a few years ago (before the Hunger Games hit it big) and they loved it. I can't believe I didn't think of it. :)

Tanya @ Moms Small Victories said...

I haven't read any of these but after just finishing Shadow of the Wind and starting Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, a novella/ short story sounds perfect! Thanks for recommendations, I haven't read any Roald Dahl yet.

Cheering you on from Armchair BEA!