Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.

I found a few wondrous words in one sentence from The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making: "'The earth, my dear, is roughly trapezoidal, vaguely rhomboid, a bit of a tesseract, and altogether grumpy when its fur is stroked the wrong way!'" (pg. 5)

1. trapezoidal - of, pertaining to, or having the form of a trapezoid (a quadrilateral plane figure having two parallel and two nonparallel sides)

2. rhomboid - having a form similar to an oblique-angled parallelogram with only the opposite sides equal

3. tesseract - the generalization of a cube to four dimensions

Hooray for math-related vocabulary!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I knew trapezoidal, but not the other two.

I love the name of the book, I'll have to check it out!

bermudaonion said...

I knew the first 2 but the 3rd one is new to me. Great words today!

Tea said...

OMG, these words remind me of Geometry. I had to take Geometry in summer school. One day I would like to try and study Geometry again.