Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wednesday Comics for 7 and 14 May 2014



I've been sick for two weeks now, so I skipped a week at the comic book store. These are the books I picked up for both the 7th and 14th of May.

Action Comics #31: This issue is part of the Doomed storyline that I'm not reading, but it's pretty easy to figure out what's happened so far. Superman has been infected by Doomsday, and it's slowly changing him. It's a good issue, even if I'm not going to continue the crossover. Plus: Krypto makes an appearance!

Aquaman and the Others #2: I picked up the first issue because Aquaman has been one of my favorite new 52 comics. The Others (a group of superheroes who also posess Atlantean weapons) have shown up a few times and I thought they would be interesting. This issue was okay, but I don't think I'm going to continue reading. It doesn't tie in to the Aquaman storyline; if anything there are allusions to Futures End (which I am emphatically NOT READING, despite its featuring Grifter).

Batgirl #31: Barbara finally goes to visit Ricky, who reveals something pretty shocking (but completely understandable, given the circumstances). As she's leaving the hospital, Babs gets a call from her roommate, Alysia, who's being attacked by the creepiest Batgirl villain ever. I really enjoyed this issue, especially Ragdoll. He seems like a fun addition to the Batgirl rogues gallery, and I hope to see him again. There's some shadowy conspiracy stuff going on with Nightfall that I care less about, but at least it seems like it's building toward something significant. 

Batman Eternal #5: My store was sold out by the time I got there, but it's been ordered so I should get it soon. 

Batman Eternal #6: Batman teams up with the Spectre and Batwing to take on the mystical forces surrounding Arkham. I was disappointed to get away from the Stephanie Brown and Harper Row storylines, but it's interesting to see different heroes working together. Less interesting is the inclusion of the Joker's Daughter, but I'll keep reading anyway. 

Black Widow #6: Natasha manages to capture the guy she was going after last issue, but there's an issue when she gets him back to SHIELD. I loved seeing Nat and Maria bonding. There's a bonus Hawkguy appearance and Liho gets invited into the apartment! Noto's art is gorgeous as always. His pencils perfectly capture the action sequences.

Captain Marvel #3: Carol and the Guardians of the Galaxy get control of Carol's shop away from Tic. Carol returns Tic to her planet and gets a pretty awesome smack down when she offers her services. I like that we're getting away from Earth and exoring the cosmic side of the Marvel universe. I also liked seeing Carol getting shot down, because I feel like a lot of times superheroes just assume they can "save the day" without really thinking through as to what that entails. It was a clever bit of writing on Kelly Sue's part. 

Fathom: Kiani #3: Kiani deals with the aftermath of the explosion and an unexpected friend shows up! There are still a ton of questions to answer, so I'm a little skeptical of getting a complete wrap-up in next month's final issue for this volume. Especially given what happens to Luzhin in the final panel...

Lumberjanes #2: This series keeps getting weirder. In this issue, the girls go canoing on a river. Ripley (who is my favorite, honestly) freaks everyone out with tales of river monsters. Mal especially has reservations about the trip. Of course the girls run into strange creatures and have an adventure. I love this series so much already - it's what I imagine Girl Scouting to be like in Night Vale. 

No comments: